Re: [glob2-devel] The widget system

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] The widget system
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:47:01 -0800

This is urksome...

I'm creating a plan of changes, there are indeed many changes that
need to take place, and it seems like many more changes than I really
want to make.

First of all, games need to be more customizable, both off and on
line. However, there seems to be a clash of entities in the whole
system. First of all, I'm seeing SessionGame store the specific data
for a map. It essentially wraps the Maps on the harddisk, providing
filenames, data offsets, etc. It would be a local entity.

Then there is a derived class, SessionInfo, which adds in information
for specific teams. This is where things get shaken up. This
SessionInfo class goes across the network. But with it comes the
information in SessionGame, which (should) only represents a map on
the harddisk.

Maps seem to have a max name length, which is inappropriette.

Then we get into YOG, and there is this YOG::gameInfo, which contains
allot of the information of SessionGame along with some IP
information. There seems to be no place for SessionInfo anywhere.
However, SessionInfo is used in gui for the custom map screen.

This is all coming together in a big glob of confusion. It seems like
any changes I try to make is going to be a hack, a work around, ad
hoc, non fixed. Really, the whole system needs to be redesigned,
rethought out, and made more permament. This all seems like the goals
of 1.1, I can really understand why.

Back to the confusion, where am I supposed to put alliance
information? How is this sent over the network? What about win
conditions?