Re: [glob2-devel] Evolutions vs Revolutions

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Evolutions vs Revolutions
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:17:58 +0100

Hi Steph,

I think, to people that don't know much about the code, rewriting is
more attractive than bugfixes are.  So this might be a good
opportunity to attract new developers who have time for major rewrites.
(if done right)

Imagine a developer who knows glob2 quite well and would like to change
something on a big scale but has no time for it.
So instead of rewriting it himself he could help others do it.
(By starting some new code and supervising)

What is left to do is:
Put a list onto the webpage that tells what big rewrites would be
supervised by whom.
Including a not-to-short discription of:
1) the relation of the part which shall be rewritten to the whole of glob2.
2) why it should be rewritten.
3) how it shall look when finished.
4) what the new developers should know.
5) how to sign up for it.

Well, something like a job advertisment.

Example:
Nicowar rewrite (supervised by Bradley Arsenault):
1) Nicowar is an AI that can control enemy players.  It communicates to
the rest of glob2 through the following classes ...
2) The old code was not desinged to treat different buildings differently.
   This turned out to be bad, because ...
3) The new code will be based on a fussy state machine.
4) Knowledge of the book foobar will be necessary.

I don't know how to implement 5. Maybe through forum or private glob2-member
messages.  The importent thing would be that it can be done right away
without much effort.

This resembles the road map webpage.  The difference would be that
road map was not optimized to attract developers.  And the road
map includes projects for the far future.
The new page must be linked to the "you can help" part of the frontpage.

I don't know if this idea will work.  There might even be too few
developers who would be willing to supervise.

--
Kai Antweiler