[glob2-devel] Map editor GUI rewrite

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: [glob2-devel] Map editor GUI rewrite
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:04:25 +0100

Hi,

As you all love rewrite so much, le met propose one ;-)

The map editor has been the first part of Glob2 written, even before the libgag existed. It has been hacked several times since but in total anarchy. It is the most unusable part of Glob2. So I suggest to rewrite its GUI using libgag widgets and popup menus.

The idea is to have a menu bar at top, consisting in action and tool icons, that will be:

For action:
- Load
- Save
- Quit
- Edit script
- Team properties (AI/human/...)
For tools:
- Selection
- Terrain and ressource brush
- Building brush
- Unit brush

Actions will popup modal menus, tool will popup drop down menu. Tools have key shortcuts that popup menus just below the mouse for faster operations.

I suggest to use 32x32 icons, same look as the tab icons in game right-side menu. Any help drawing those icons is warmly welcome.

The bar will also contain the brush size and team add/remove.

This new editor should be much cleaner from a code side and much easier to use from a mapper side.

Steph