Re: [glob2-devel] mod proposal

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mod proposal
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:05:38 +0200

Hi Kai

I once proposed to use my hight-map based maps for things as your proposal 3. for example an Atlantis-mode where all start on the shores of the same big island that slowly vanishes. problem with our 2d-maps is that shrinking islands will get smoothed shores.

all these ideas will be easily implemented as changements of the undermap work seemlessly i think. only problem will be the visual transition as just switching will look ugly.

greetings, leo

Kai Antweiler wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to propose three mods, which might be easy to implement:
(the second at least)

1. Timed Glob2:
Since I can't spend hours and hours playing glob2, I would like a
timer that could be set before the game.  It should be visible during
the game.  When it's down to zero.  The player who's done best wins.
What this "best" means I don't know by now.
But I like the idea of winning by outperforming the opponent better
than exterminating it.  Attacks might be more strategic - to put the
opponent behind.  (Think lemmings!)

The important part would be that I can control the time I will spend.
And therefore play more often.

2. Swamp:

Each time a glob (maybe just worker) leaves a nonwater field, the
field has a chance to be changed to sand (or if it is sand already -
to water).
Thereby the importance of resource management would increase.  Also
swarms become useless after a time and you would constantly be forced
to adapt your cities.  As time increases, racetracks decrease in
usefulness an swimming pools become vital.  So there is another change
in strategy that has to be made throughout a game.

And the most important thing:
I think it fits well into the glob2 atmosphere, and could be easily
implemented.

3. Changing water level:

This could be a worms-like rising water that increases till the map is
flooded.  Buildings that are on a field which turns to water are
destroyed including all globs inside.

Or tides:  Water just propagates a bit or withdraws -
depending on which tide is right now.

Or water withdraws constantly.  Might increase the atmosphere on
law resource maps.
Swimming pools become useless by and by.