Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:46:31 -0700

On 5/1/06, Bradley Arsenault <address@hidden> wrote:
Dependancies are by no means evil, they are quite the opposite.

The dependancy itself can be a pain, but by depending on the library,
you have saved yourself countless hours of programming, and countless
more hours of debugging. Plus, if you have used a reputable library,
you are likely getting the code from someone who knows the topic of
the library *better* *than* *you*, which means it may have been
designed better than your way.

As well, the added dependancy isn't much of a pain at all. So what if
you have to download and compile an extra library when you reinstall
your os. 5 minutes of work, 10 minutes if your slow. Excuse me, but
spending hours writing code yourself to save 5 minutes downloading
from someone else is a very, very stupid idea

You guys should really stop considering dependancies a bad idea. If
you hate downloading, import boost into the source (boost has a
program to automate this for you.). If you don't want the user to have
to download, import into the source, and/or statically link to the
library for binaries. Its really not that hard. As an added bonus,
boost in particular is run almost entirely off templates, so there is
no runtime dependancy *at-all*.

Ohh and about the fractional number thing, I discovered that if I
changed the the distributation point from fixed to variable, I avoided
the need for dealing with fractions entirely while at the same time
increasing performance of the AI.

Dependancies are a good thing, if this project would lighten up and
have more of them, we could have saved perhaps months of coding time
(eg an existing libgag like library).

This is however, the wrong place to discuss this..