[glob2-devel] translation-helper

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: [glob2-devel] translation-helper
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:53:09 +0200

hi list

i started working on a translation-system for those ugly language files. feel
free to join this project.
files are located at http://globulation2.org/translation/

My ideas and concept so far:
I plan to make this translation-file helper with AJAX.
* to be able to do changes on a word by word basis i put the data into the
database. that's done by files2db.php.
* the way back will be done by db2files.php.
* the index.php will show up something like

key alreadyOpenedTranslation   <dropdown for language />
key alreadyOpenedTranslation
key alreadyOpenedTranslation
key alreadyOpenedTranslation
... ...
<input for a new key />

* by entering data to the input the input turns into text and a new input
appears below.
* by choosing a language (existing or new) all translations in that language
for the keys get listed as text.
* non existing translations get marked by red background
* doubleclicking text makes it turn into an <input> allowing to change the
value.

benefits:
* we get an overview of what translation is how complete
* people can contribute far easier
* if finished it makes translation less error-prone

further ideas:
* add meta data like width of the text, context or even screenshot

state:
data-retrieval from files is done
data-structure in the db is done
keys and languages can be transfaired to db
translations can not yet be transfered to db
utf8 displays correctly (i had trouble with that for inputs)
a "hello ajax-world" aplication is in place.

Greetings, Leo