Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:22:20 +0200

> Wouldn't that kind of flag cover very large areas and thus clobber the
> game view?

We could use view toggles.  When you check a box in the menu you
see transient area.  Unchecked you see only center and border.
I would like more control of how the screen looks like anyway.
I have a slow tft-monitor.  The food/health boxes under the globs
flicker a lot when they move because of the black borders they have.
An option to switch their borders or the whole thing off would come in
handy.
I also don't like the clouds.  Therefore I constantly play with low
graphics.  glob2 badly needs more customization options.

> Did anyone play Empire Earth 2? It's a RTS game with a very nice
> feature: a strategy view. In this view, the map is full screen and you
> can use it to draw battle plans and send them to your allies. Maybe
> this would be the right user interface for the granularity that this
> "high level" flag requires.

I would like to have a battle plan drawing feature.
Just for the atmosphere.

This reminds me of a war interface I always wanted to implement.
Instead of creating a warflag and pulling it over the map to
control the path the warriors take, I wanted to draw a long arrow.
(Not necessary a straight one).  It has three states you can toggle.
1. Do nothing.
2. Accumulate warriors at the bottom.
3. Let them follow the arrow and attack the target destination.

Thereby you could for example feint an attack from one side.
And kill the important buildings from another
side with different troops in a little postponed attack.

A lot of the management would be shifted to the planning phase of the
attack.
An "multiarrow" that allows you to describe the order in which buildings
will be attacked might be useful.

But ordinary flags could do this as well with a spawn option.  That
allows you to put a child flag which will get the warriors of its
parent as soon as the parent has no buildings left in its vicinity.

With such options you can fight multiple battles at once on really
big maps.

Arrows would need a pheromon system and changes to the interface,
therefore they probably will never come.
But spawn flags might be easy.

--
Kai Antweiler