Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:25:15 +0200

> I'm strongly against using a lisp-based language for scripting, it amuses
> geeks but is a nightmare for the rest of the world. Squirrel would be ok.

I just wanted to write how much I like scheme, that it is easy to learn
in half an hour, but that non-mathematicans are shocked by its style and
back away.

So same advice from me.  Better use a language that is (or is not) more
complicated, but that users feel more comfortable with.

I would suggest something like python or ruby, since they are popular.
Is it feasible to restrict python to a dumb, secure compaign-script
interpreter?

I would like this, because I'm thinking about allowing python for
normal glob2 code as well.  I think boost has methods for python-c++
interfaces.

I prefer c++, but many (especially young) people only know python.
So improving glob2 might be as easy as allowing them to use the
language they know.

Is python a hype, or is it going to stay popular?

I mentioned ruby, because I've heard it's very popular in japan.
And I have the impression that we get no support from east asia.
Are they using different linux distributions?  or different online
journals / wikis?
Or do I have just a wrong impression?

--
Kai Antweiler