Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] mercurial switch
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:21:30 +1200

That is bad.  If someone wants to do a lot of graphics for us, he will be
detained by that.

Not really. No one outside th Glob2 group of Savannah contributes anyway. Its as simple as signing up to glob2, then reading http://globulation2.org/wiki/Uploading_to_Savannah

The problem with Savannah is just exactly that. Its simple enough to do that. So anyone could delete all the files. Where as puting them in Murcurial, no one would have to reupload them, just go back to a previous revision.

Mercurial might be the better way to go.

Do you mean remove the binary data part of the repository history?
I don't know if that is easy.

The only problem with binaryies are they cant see changes in the revisions. they can upload anbd download to and from repositories with no problem.

I like having the binary data in the same repositories as the
code, because it makes revisions consistent.

Indeed.

But I dislike it for it's mostly different development done
by different people the then source coders.  And in our case
making the repositories unneccessary large.

The files are only 20mb. And would only be changed once every month if at all. Anyone with anything to contribute would have to post on the mailing list before putting them in, and so one of the devs can just take that and upload it themselves. So contributor access wouldn't be a problem.

Different repositories are better.

In some cases, yes. But not in Globulation's case.

Also there can be an alternative graphics repository.

True, but where? Kyles server is already complaining about bandwidth, If we use Nct server, we might as well have source and data together. We cant use Savannah, and my server is not online 24/7.

The fact is, we dont have enough people in the project to make a difference with multiple repositories.

We also could try to mix this.
If a graphic has no special effect on the code, it will be developed
in a separate overlay repository.  Or maybe we can use patch queues for
this.  I don't know much about them.

Far too complicated. Keep it simple. Put them in Murcurial for testing, then later, if the bandwidth is too much, move them elsewhere.

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/