Re: [glob2-devel] first steps in mercurial

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] first steps in mercurial
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:34:03 +0200

Please only create remote branches if you want several people work on changes
out of the main branch for a long period of time.

I suggest when your confident that your branch will be going into the master
branch in the future, you can push a new branch.
We just have to get used to do "hg pull -r master <repository>" instead of
"hg pull <repository>"

Otherwise, work with your local branches and, if required, publish your
changes yourself
(http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/TutorialExport) or use "hg
serve".

This tutorial was written before the "hg branch" command was introduced.
But for experimental work which probably never go into the master branch
the methods in this tutorial are better.  When we host mercurial branches
elsewhere, we should put the addresses somewhere in the wiki and or
announce it in the mailing list.
Announcing when you start new work in the mailing list would be a good
practice anyway.

Remember that you can make several commits locally before pushing into remote.

Also you can and should merge recent changes from the remote repository
into your local work while you work.

To create remote branches, I have to add a line in a configuration file, so
the command Kai sent might not work.

The second part about "hg branch" definitely works.  Just look into
our repository ;)

--
Kai Antweiler