[glob2-devel] Cmake issues, why we should stick with autoconf/make and .

From: Kieran P
Subject: [glob2-devel] Cmake issues, why we should stick with autoconf/make and ./configure
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:59:38 +1200

I got bored so decided to do a little work on the new Cmake scripts. After a bit of fiddling, I got it to compile fine on Mandriva, and using the right files, so it was playable. However, there are some issues which I think are important enough to scrap the ideas of adopting it as our main form of compiling (what is now committed in hg can be an alternative in 1.0.0, but not the main thing). Here are the reasons why:

* On the Globulation 2 screen, the version number in the bottom left corner is not set anymore because autoconf is not being used. I'm sure this is easily fixable by someone who knows who, but what I tried didn't work.

* Cmake has no support for the command "make dist", which makes it harder when it comes to making the source package for releases.

* Cmake refuses to work, no matter what configuration, on MinGW. It throws out lots of complaints.

* In the configure script, a variable called LIBS is set twice, once to do with opengl and another to do with mingw. Cmake has no method of determining, setting, checking, and including these in the compile command.

For now, my opinion is to certainly have it as an optional compiler for linux distributions (which should work fine), but maintain the configure scripts (automake, autoconf, etc) as the main form (at least until cmake developers further), as it is compatible with windows mingw compiler, and the more widely used compiler.

To do this, the files should probably be rewritten, or re organized at the very least. I'll look into doing this in my spare time.

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/