Re: [glob2-devel] GameGUI re-organization

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GameGUI re-organization
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:41:27 -0400

I'm almost done the new system, having expanded it somewhat to have a KeyPress class, which represents a single key press event (in or out and if control/shift/alt being held) and a KeyboardShortcut class, which can be any sequence of KeyPresses that ends up with a particular action. I've also vastly improved the Settings screen that makes editing shortcuts allot more logical.

I have one issue though. How should I handle the default keyboard shortcuts? My current semantics just load the defaults when no customizations are present, but what happens if we add new keyboard shortcuts in the future? The user will be un-informed. Its not really a big issue, but if i where a user and the "a" key did something new, but nothing happenned, it might seem like a bug.

And by the way, layout files look like this (these are only a few of the shortcuts), if your interested:

<tab>=iterate selection
<return>=open chat box
<pause>=pause game
<escape>=show main menu
<space>=go to event
<+>=increase units working
<->=decrease units working
<=>=increase units working
<d>=destroy building
<a>-<a>=switch to adding areas
<a>-<c>=select place clearing area
<a>-<d>=switch to removing areas
<a>-<f>=select place forbidden area
<a>-<g>=select place guard area
<b>-<a>=select construct swarm
<b>-<b>=select construct barracks

I'm wondering where I should head next in terms of re-organizing GameGUI. Perhaps I will re-organize selections, as I noticed an enum in there ....

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.