Re: [glob2-devel] map sizes (was: Minimap algorithm)

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] map sizes (was: Minimap algorithm)
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:59:11 +0200

A side comment:  It would be nice if in the long run (over the next
year or two) glob2 moved toward allowing maps whose dimensions are not
powers of 2.  A 256 by 256 map is a bit small and boring, but 512 by
512 maps are way too big.

I think this is only, because this way we address the map faster.
With "|", "&", "<<" and ">>" we can quickly transform (x,y)
coordinates to the memory
address and back.
Nuage mentioned that accessing memory is by far more time consuming
than computing
the address.  So probably "+", "%", "/", "*" are fast enough, and
arbitrary rectangle maps
possible.

--
Kai Antweiler