Re: [glob2-devel] drawing unit paths when only destination is displayed

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] drawing unit paths when only destination is displayed
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:45:42 +0100

"Kai Antweiler" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > We don't know which resources will be targeted.  We only estimate which
>> > resource
>> > will be.  If we want this estimated resources to draw lines, we have
>> > to estimate these
>> > resources for every glob!  Right now we only have to estimate for
>> > every visible glob.
>> > I guess this is a huge speed difference.
>>
>> This reasoning is (unfortunately) flawed.
>>
>> The destinations need to be calculated to decide where each globule
>> will next move, regardless of whether the globule is currently
>> displayed.  And the destinations are rarely recalculated, so for
>> display purposes the information can just be used and does not need to
>> be calculated.
>
> No, this is false.
> We don't determine the destinations.
> And the pathfinding is recalculated every fifth turn, if I remember
> this correctly.

I'm pretty sure that the destinations used for drawing unit paths are
not recalculated as often as the destinations used for deciding where
to actually go.  I know this by observing that they are so often wrong
for periods of time much longer than 5 turns (perhaps 100s of turns?).

I suspect the pathfinding destinations are being copied and cached
somewhere and this copy is not being updated.

--
Joe

P.S.  Anway, it is clear that the pathfinding destinations must be
computed regardless of whether they are being displayed (otherwise how
could globules move at all?), so there can not be any extra expense
for display purposes in computing them.