Re: [glob2-devel] main page announcement of bounty system

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] main page announcement of bounty system
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:06:32 +0200

> You all know I love glob2 but let me paint another picture:
>
> > It also has nice graphics
>
> I know dozens who specifically don't like our "poor" grafics. It is not 3D.

You at least have to compare free strategy games!  How many are out
there having 3D graphics?  Is any of it a real time strategy game?

> > and music.
>
> Really? And no sound-FX! Games need FX, not necessarily music.

Really!  I said music - not sound FX.  Most music that I hear in free games
is really cheap.  Wheather music does belong or does not belong into games
is a different issue.  We have it.

> > It is distributed by all major
> > linux distributions.
>
> What is no quality measure at all. Because of that I have many games that are
> not even playable.

True, it is no quality measure.  But it is a hugh advantage to a open
source project.  Imagine we would be kicked out of these
distributions.  This we be
a real backdraft.

> > And it has much more players around the world than I know people at all.
>
> But no solid comunity of people that play online on a regular basis. For
> example
> there has been no game on YOG for at least the past 4h.

You are setting the standards too high.  Which free rts does better?

> > Not bad for a seven year old project!
>
> frustrating for 7 years of hard work.

Steph, are you frustrated?

Most open source project that I have seen did not survived 3 years of
development.  I am constantly changing beloved software, because it
is getting out of touch with current standards.  I'm right now giving kde
a chance, because it is a big project and I hope this improves consistency.
Buy the way, I have never worked longer on any software project than,
I am working on glob2 now and I am not planning to stop - even if I'll just
find time to fix some bugs at christmas.

Nearly all projects that undergo a rewrite die in the process.  (We
should have listened to Steph!)  The reason that glob2 accumulates
patch-work-code,
is that glob2 does so well and still lives on.

But talking about rewrite:  Leo, do you understand Erics improvements to the
noise generator?  If you can work with it, we should merge it into the
master branch.

> We need to hit a critical mass of 100 people that play at any time. That would
> motivate many to contribute.

We don't need this and we probably won''t every get it.
--
Kai Antweiler