Re: [glob2-devel] Music

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Music
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:26:49 +0100

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 03:33:43 Max Shinn wrote:
> > I think the general consensus is that people want music similar to the
> > ambiance of the existing tracks, but longer and more varied.
>
> So...
> Should I write music to replace the existing tracks (the peace, the heavy
> development and the war) so that users can choose, or should I write some
> more to go side by side with the existing music?  The latter would be much
> more difficult, because I would have to make it sound similar to the old
> ones.
> Another question: should I write a bunch of separate parts that can be
> played randomly, or should I make one big long song?  Making them play
> randomly would probably require a bunch of modifications to your engine,
> and I don't know if it would be worth it.  I am open to either option.

I think that the biggest constraint is the mixability of the three types of
track. The question of wether your music should be played alternatively with
the existing one or should be a different choice depends on the type of
music. In general, I think that letting people the choice of the music might
be good, with the option of random that chooses a new music theme after one
loop.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--