[glob2-devel] don't use "hg push -f" as default

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: [glob2-devel] don't use "hg push -f" as default
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 20:49:04 +0100

Hi *,

recently some (wrong) extra heads have been created in our repository.
This happens (e.g.), if you "hg push -f" a revision and someone else
has pushed before.

If you use "hg push" without "-f", mercurial will warn you and exit in
such cases.
Then you can use "hg incoming ...#default" or ("hg pull ...#default"
and "hg glog -l 4) to see what's wrong.

If you come to the conclusion, that creating a new head is the best thing
that you can do in this situation, then you can still use "hg push -f".

If you see that someone has pushed a new revision, you problably want to merge:
# hg pull http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2#default
# hg merge
# hg commit -m "merged my and xy commits"
# hg push https://hg.globulation2.org/glob2

If you know beforehand, that you want to create a new head (probably
due to a new
named branch), then you should use "hg push -f ..." directly.
--
Kai Antweiler