Re: [glob2-devel] unify lan and yog

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] unify lan and yog
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:13:26 +1200

Hey,

If I remember correctly, the ip and ports cannot be moved into a config file anyway.

If thats still the case, dont read on. However, if through changes that have been made, this is now an option, half (that is, in some aspects) merging LAN into YOG via a Connection Settings tab might be handy (most games have this tab/settings dialog!), solely for the purpose of large groups, or for players in different regions of the world.

For large groups, it would allow people to start up their own YOG server (-daemon) locally, without the need for the current YOG server in the USA, while still maintaining the grouping of games and players in the YOG interface, by having everyone connect to the local ip and port server. The result: Lightning fast games (wont have to go to the USA), and far better organization than the LAN game screen.

For small groups, the current system wouldn't change much. We could maintain the current LAN system so its as simple as host, join, play. The connections settings for localised lan servers are mainly for those who perhaps have low bandwidth, low connection speed, or large groups.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Regards
Kieran