Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 4 Release Candidate

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Beta 4 Release Candidate
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:56:08 +0200

> i definitely want multiple sounds maybe with a limit of 8 or so combined
> with priorities of sounds.
> Please take into account and work with
> http://globulation2.org/wiki/Talk:SoundFX

Thank you for the link, this page is useful indeed.
About the event driven ambient sound, I suggest to have very short sounds, so
that we can play multiple of them without any bloating the sound ambiance. We
could start from the center of screen and play all sound until the limit is
reached, and drop any other sound. In this case, it is better to go for wave
files.

I suggest that we mix in software, as we already do for music. If we have a
hard limit on the amount of sound, we can have an efficient implementation by
have sound farther away be more quite, and even put some parametric low pass
filter so that away sound seem more away (higher frequencies are transmitted
transmit less on longer distances).

I am willing to try to get some sound, so that we can discuss about ambiance
and even have some data to prototype implementation.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net