Re: [glob2-devel] Using python

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Using python
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 00:09:28 +0200

On Friday 24 October 2008 02:59:26 jon Neal wrote:
> whoops, hit some button and gmail thought to send!
>
> I don't mean for in game, I mean for the game. It just seems like some of
> the c++ stuff could be converted to help make matters simpler/easier.

I do not agree. We could improve a lot of things by using more constants, or
even config-file-based settings, to tune the GUI before switching to something
such as Python. If you really need to script the game, USL will do the job as
well. However, using Python as a tool to generate boilerplate code is ok.

I think that we should cleanup, use less constants and more define/config for
layouting, and do other similar enhancements; but we must not to switch to
something as slow and non-scalable as Python. I have used Python for serious
work on a large dataset (harvesting google scholar to compute scientists h-
index), and I have found Python not scalable at all, and rather ill designed
from the container point of view. I know that C++ might be frightening at first
sight, but it is well designed, and in particular the STL is really clean.
Moreover, C++0x which is due for next year will push C++ another large foot
ahead of mostly everything.

Better spend time learning C++ than reimplementing Glob2 in Python.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net