Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 02:07:02 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is soon the period for google's summer of code registration:
> " We'll begin accepting applications from open source mentoring organizations
> on Monday, March 9, 2009; we'll stop accepting organization applications on
> Friday, March 13th." [1].
>
> Do we want to apply? If so, we need someone available to provide mentoring.

As I already had tried to do my own "mentoring" at getafreelancer.com, maybe I
should not let this chance go. Guess most challenging part for us will be to
well define tasks.

When it comes to what glob2 needs to be successful, I'd suggest to implement
1) a tutorial mode that nags the user about missing
hospitals/inns/farming/warriors/over- or underwork/...
2) sound fx
3) 3d grafix

1 is a playground that would require conditions to be defined that a newcomer
would not be good in guessing. on the other hand this would be a wide range of
more or less challenging conditions to check for throughout big portions of the
game logic.
2 would hook in in very few places and should be doable with loose coupling.
3 would be the most challenging and intrusive task.

Would we need to provide more academic tasks? What do the others think?

Regards

Leo