Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:51:07 +0100

On Friday 27 February 2009 02:07:02 Leo Wandersleb wrote:
> Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is soon the period for google's summer of code registration:
> > " We'll begin accepting applications from open source mentoring
> > organizations on Monday, March 9, 2009; we'll stop accepting organization
> > applications on Friday, March 13th." [1].
> >
> > Do we want to apply? If so, we need someone available to provide
> > mentoring.
>
> As I already had tried to do my own "mentoring" at getafreelancer.com,
> maybe I should not let this chance go. Guess most challenging part for us
> will be to well define tasks.
>
> When it comes to what glob2 needs to be successful, I'd suggest to
> implement 1) a tutorial mode that nags the user about missing
> hospitals/inns/farming/warriors/over- or underwork/...

Yes, that is nice. It is related with the status of the script (see in below).

> 2) sound fx

Yes, but take care that the problem here is more the content than the code. By
the way, I could provide some sounds effect if we know what we want.

> 3) 3d grafix

I have doubt about this. I do not think that a GSOC project could be about
doing graphics (after all, it is a summer of _code_), and a 3D engine without
graphics is useless. Worst, il would dilute our already weak work force.

We could maybe think about working with the new script. Martin, what do you
think about this idea?

Another idea would be to add improvements to the core engine, such as adding
paving area, resurecting the wild animal concept (but again this depends on
graphics), or improve the engine to suit the graphists's needs (see Dryad's
mail some weeks ago).

Have a nice day,

Steph

--