Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] GSOC
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:48:16 +0100

Hi

today I read through some of last years projects and the faq. Google always
talks about mentoring organizations. We are no organization. At least they want
to have one guy to talk to. I'd suggest Stephane to be that guy and offer to do
my best to support him. There can be several mentors beyond that.

see below a first shot at answering google's questions. Let's put that on a wiki
to develope a profound application.

Regards

Leo Wandersleb

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_org_app_08250740394219425_
> 2. What should a mentoring organization application look like?
>
> In addition to anything else your organization would like to submit as an
> application, Google will be asking (at least) the following questions as part
> of the application process:
>
>    1. Describe your organization.

Globulation 2 is a real time strategy game originally started as a private
project by two French guys in 2001. Main goal which to the day makes the game
unique among all the titles in that area was to reduce micro management.

The game features
- a task system combined with an AI to best accomplish those tasks
- several sophisticated computer opponents that are, without cheating,
challenging to even the best players
- support for up to 16 players via lan or internet, 16.000 units plus 16.000
buildings in one game
- extremely low bandwidth use

Over the years, about 40(?) people directly committed to the code and 76
contributed by providing patches, packaging binaries or translating the game to
over 20 languages.

>    2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2009? What do
> you hope to gain by participating?

Globulation 2 is still unique in its approach of "no micromanagement" but it is
loosing ground in the feature set one would usually expect such a game to have.
GSOC hopefully can help recruit some new developers for this great game.

>    3. Did your organization participate in past GSoCs? If so, please
> summarize your involvement and the successes and challenges of your
> participation.

no

>    4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have you
> applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?

? guess no

>    5. What license(s) does your project use?

GPL

>    6. What is the URL for your ideas page?

hmm ... which should we link here? guess there's some clean up to be done.

>    7. What is the main development mailing list or forum for your
> organization?

>    8. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?

irc://irc.globulation2.org/glob2

>    9. Does your organization have an application template you would like to
> see students use? If so, please provide it now.

no

>   10. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please include
> Google Account information.

huh?

>   11. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account information.

Stephane, Leo, Bradley (are you sure??)

>   12. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors?
> Please be as specific as possible.

They best know the code and are willing to dedicate time to mentor. ...

>   13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?

Coding should have as short commit intervals as possible so no work will be
lost. We would require well documentation of both code and progress so we see
problems ahead of time and can react and continue work in case a student really
fails to finish one task.

>   14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?

The mentors are all with the project since years. We will be able to compensate
one mentor disappearing as we will be available as a group all mentors for all
students.

>   15. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
> project's community before, during and after the program?

We will dedicate our time showing the student around. Every contributor gets
credit for what he has done. We are very open to external ideas, so a student
would be encouraged to think out of the box.

>   16. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the
> project after GSoC concludes?

Good question :)