Re: [glob2-devel] USL return Patch & Unit Testing Framework

From: Quinn Yee Qin Teh
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] USL return Patch & Unit Testing Framework
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:28:26 +1000

Hi Numbeast,

Although I don't really know what you're talking about (I'm sure somebody else can help you out) I just want to welcome you onboard :)

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Numbeast . <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Globlation,

After a very brief conversation with giszmo3 I decided I would try tackling adding unit testing to Glob2. I started with libusl but quickly ran into a problem, USL provides no method of receiving the return value of a script. The value is dumped to cout but not saved for later. In order to test for the proper execution of scripts, it would be nice to know that a script returns (what the result of executing the last line is). I therefore made this small (2 additional lines) patch for intrepreter.cpp and intrepreter.h so that after USL step()s through a thread until it's state is state:STOP it saves the return value. After asking on irc i was told that this would be a good place to ask for this small diff to be committed (the diff is attached).

On another subject, after a little thought I decided to use Boost:Test as the testing framework. Your wiki says you don't want any extra dependencies but in your mailing lists there have been a few comments to the effect of if something makes programming simpler you'll accept it, and I believe using Boost:Test is much easier and faster than implementing your own library. You probably allready have it installed considering you use Boost:Thread. Any feedback on this choice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Brian