Re: [glob2-devel] need package managers

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] need package managers
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 02:17:00 +0200

Kyle Lutze wrote:
> because beta5-rc isn't considered the stable version, 0.9.4.3 is
>
> Kyle
>
> Maxime GUYOT wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm confused why isn't the beta5-rc which need packages ?
>>
>> For packages i was setting up, chroot on Jon's serveur but then thunder
>> decided otherwise... So far i built 1 package for fedora 9, one for
>> fedora 11 is coming, centOS 5 and SuSE 9.0 is coming as soon as Jon's
>> server is up.

well ... we should automate the packaging so we can quickly back-port bug-fixes
and the binaries get compiled without extra work. on such a build server, you
can have for example binaries built for the latest two major versions. in our
case that would be beta4-rc and beta5-rc. the default would not necessarily need
packaging as we could do as follows:

beta4 is our "stable". it has tags for every bug-fix revision

beta5 is our "testing". it will have tags as soon as we think it is an
improvement over beta4

default is our "unstable". it does not need binaries. once beta6 is branched,
beta4 may be discontinued.

regards,

leo