Re: [glob2-devel] Release Procedures

From: Donkyhotay
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Release Procedures
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:14:57 -0700

Looks like a good idea to me. The one issue I see is getting/organizing testers. I've been so busy with another FOSS project I haven't even launched glob2 in months so I don't know how much activity there has been on YOG recently, but in the past it can be difficult to find someone to play even a regular game with much less setting up a bughunt. If things are still slow on YOG when doing this we may want to schedule a glob2-fest on the dev list where we all try to work together to try to identify bugs in the code.

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people believe in windmills.

Kyle Lutze wrote:
I know we're not quite ready for beta5, but I thought it would be good
to have a written procedure for creating releases so our download page
doesn't look like we don't care about creating release packages like it
did up through 0.9.4.3, and still does for the linux distributions. Any
comments/concerns on making this a policy?

- Kyle
==========
Once a release is ready for a new version of glob2, the following steps
must first be completed

1) The mercurial branch is frozen and tagged as the rc1 release

2) Packages must be made for the source, windows, OS X, ubuntu, debian,
and fedora. An ebuild must be made for Gentoo.

3) these release candidate packages are to be uploaded to a separate
folder, a bug report made for each package for comments, and a message
sent out to the glob2-devel mailing list to get testers. The Download
and Install page should have a link to the download folder and and bug
reports to ask people to help with testing, but the main links should
NOT be updated to RCs.

4) The packages must go through testing for a week, any bugs found are
fixed and we repeat the process, bumping the release candidate number,
until the latest RC goes a full week without any new bugs being found.

5) If after a week no new bugs are found and everyone is satisfied, the
packages are renamed and uploaded as the final release. The Download and
Install page on the wiki is then completely updated and a mail sent out
to glob2-announce to hopefully get others to release packages for their
distros and players can update their copies.