Re: [glob2-devel] Is HG obsolete? Should we move to github/git?

From: Linus Probert
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Is HG obsolete? Should we move to github/git?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 13:35:21 +0000

Agree with Kyle. Globulation isn't a GNU project anyway is it?

fre 9 feb. 2018 kl 02:41 skrev Kyle L <address@hidden>:
Github is a business and from that standpoint I really don't care if the _javascript_ used to run their site is open source or not or if they require all open projects to have their license in the header of their source files. The fact is they've become the primary spot for open source software, they've got good uptime, their services are fast, and their systems are secure. From a usability standpoint they beat the competitors. It's also where you'll find the largest amount of people willing to contribute to an open source project. Those are the things I would rather be looking at while choosing a host over whether or not they force every project to be ideologically perfect.

I'm for moving to github and updating our docs to match.

Kyle

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM, Tirifto <address@hidden> wrote:
Leo Wandersleb píše v St 07. 02. 2018 v 14:44 -0300:
> Hi list,

Hello!

> I wonder if our main repository on bitbucket/hg confuses users and if
> it would help to move to github/git?!?

I can't speak for Git nor Mercurial, but should you eventually decide
for Git, I'd like to ask and suggest for GitHub not to be used.

GitHub has some serious issues which make it a poor choice, notably
being partly unusable without non-libre software. Please see GNU
Ethical Repository Criteria Evaluations at the link below.

https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.en.html

Instead I recommend for either GitLab¹ or NotABug² to be used, both of
which show to care about libre software, with the former being well-
known enough to rival GitHub's fame, should that be a concern for you.

> glob2 gets mild interest every now and then and if you know git, hg
> is not a great hurdle to overcome but in order to make it more
> accessible, I could migrate everything to github/git. Is this helpful
> or is it disruptive?
>
> Regards,
>
> Leo

Best wishes