glue

Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - Answered: Why "OOGS" ?

From: Sander Vesik
Subject: Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - Answered: Why "OOGS" ?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:39:35 +0000 (GMT)

On 8 Feb 2001, Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:

> > > <nitpick>What is the second O for?</nitpick>
> >
> > 'Open Office Groupware Standard' as in an 'Office Groupware Standard'
> > (OGS) that is open? But that's just my guess.
>
> It's a recursive acronym in the same way that GNU and TINT are recursive
> acronyms.
>
> Like, GNU stands for Gnu's Not Unix.
>
> similarly:  OOGS:
>
>    OOGS is
>    Open
>    Groupware
>    Standards
>
> ... OOGS.
>
> Thus the "extra" O  :-)
>
> Also, "Groupware" is one word AFAIK so no W in my version.  Plus, "OOGS"
> is pronounceable, vs. OGWS.  OGS is pronounceable, but it doesn't have
> the cool FSF-ish recursive anagram  :-)

Sorry, those went out of fashion in the 80s.

But this is totally immaterial as long as the 'OGS' part means Open
Groupware Standards and the result that come out of it is :
        a) standard
        b) open
        c) agreed upon by all of us
        d) all libraries are licenced under LGPL or some other licence
           with even less strings attached.
        e) nice, multi-system (UNO, CORBA, XPCOM, plain C, etc.) APIs

        Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
        -- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'