Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster Recovery

From: majied . najjar
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster Recovery
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:35:01 -0400 (EDT)

Ah.  I understand.

Maybe you could have glusterfsd listen on multiple ports. Each mountpoint
could be assigned to its own port which if called, would yield its own
client spec.

Majied

> Yep, I'm already doing what you do (accept sharing the same root
filesystem amongst your clients via diskless booting), using local files
referenced in the fstab.

> If you tell the glusterfsd the location of a client file, it can serve
that to clients that ask, so that you don't need to keep a local copy of
the client spec file.  I was hoping that there was a way (or, more
likely, the feature could be added) to have the glusterfsd serve up
different client spec files by name.

> Thanks,
>
> Brent
>
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Hi Brent,
>>
>>> But are you referring to a server from which to retrieve your client
files, or do you just have local client files?

>> I have local client files, though they are all managed from a central
location via diskless booting.

>>> If you are doing retrieval of different client spec files from a
remote server, how do you specify the different files in the
glusterfsd spec

>> I do not reference a client spec file in the glusterfsd spec file.
However, I do reference the volumes defined in the glusterfsd spec file
in
>> the client spec file.
>>
>>> and how do you reference the different client specs when doing the
mounts?

>> I name my client files after my mounts. For example "/home" would be
"/etc/glusterfs/home.vol" and it would look like this alongside "/var"
in
>> the fstab:
>>
>> /etc/glusterfs/home.vol  /home  glusterfs  defaults  0  0
>> /etc/glusterfs/var.vol      /var     glusterfs  defaults  0  0
>>
>> Once it is in the fstab, you can mount it with:
>> `mount  /home`
>> or
>> `mount -t glusterfs /etc/glusterfs/home.vol /home`
>>
>> I hope I did not miss your question...
>>
>> Majied
>>

>> Majied
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Brent

glusterfsd? It would be nice to be able to specify which filesystem
you