Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR bricks - how does it resync question

From: DeeDee Park
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR bricks - how does it resync question
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:46:36 +0000

Thanks that clears up a lot about what is going on. I am not familiar with xattr. I tried getfattr -d <somefile> on both the brick, and glusterfs client, and nothing showed up.

Does this information also exist in for directories?

Also, I see the algorithm checks for latest createtime. I think something is missing. I would think that lastmodified time needs to also be kept track of to know which brick has the latest version. For Example, if I have Brick1 and Brick2, and they both exist when a file is created, then B2 goes down. Let's say that <somefile> got modified in the interim while B2 was down. When B2 comes back up, both files will have the same file create time, but B1 will have a newer file modified time. I assume under the current algorithm, both files on B1 and B2 would be considered as the same file by glusterfs. Oh. my bad, I see now that you are using the trusted.afr.version to keep track of which is modified later. I see some of the tradeoffs between lastmodified time vs version. Are these times relative to the server clock or client clock?

I recall with DFS, that the clock or time management was a huge part of the design. I'm using a bunch of test boxes right now (in a production environment, this might be less of a problem with well managed boxes), but sometimes the boxes are off a little on the clocks as until I remember to run NTP. Is there a big impact to glusterfs re-syncing if the clocks are off?