Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR comments. Maximizing free space use when using m

From: Krishna Srinivas
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR comments. Maximizing free space use when using mirroring
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:49:07 +0530

On 8/1/07, DeeDee Park <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > The idea I have is that I want to use as many available commodity parts
> >that
> > > I can find and
> > > build a largest file server for my customer's needs and reallocating the
> > > remaining space for
> > > replicas. I still have a lot of these 120GB drives sitting around from a
> >few
> > > years ago, and I've
> > > got 500/750GB drives. It seems to be a difficult task to match each
> >120GB
> > > drive with another
> > > 120GB drive to optimize disk usage for AFR purposes. I could have 2
> >500GB
> > > drives for
> > > replication *:2, but if I want to move to *:3 in the future, most likely
> > > I'll have some 750GB
> > > drives laying around. Using a 750GB as my third brick would most likely
> > > waste the remaining 250GB.
> >
> >You can just put the bigger drive brick as the first subvolume in the
> >subvolume
> >list. This should fix the problem right?
>
> Yes, it would give the user more space, but wouldn't there be some kind of
> error
> message when the replica disk runs out of space once the primary 750GB
> contains
> more than 250GB of data? Once the user exceeds 250GB, then they no longer
> have a replica (false sense of security... bad).

That would be disk space management issue which the admin should
take care of and AFR should not worry about. When we come up with a
web management interface the admin should automatically know what disks
have reached critical stage. For now though he should manually monitor
the disk space.

Regards
Krishna