[Gluster-devel] Crash on HA config when restoring a server

From: Kevan Benson
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Crash on HA config when restoring a server
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:02:27 -0700

When running a HA config with 2 servers and 2 clients, I can consistently
crash the active server after failing the other.  This is on TLA version
patched to 440.

System configs at http://glusterfs.pastebin.com/m52564c56
Server A: 172.16.1.81
Server B: 172.16.1.82
Client A: 172.16.1.85
Client B: 172.16.1.86
Note: Client transport-timeout (on clients and servers) was set to 10 in first
two crashes, and set to 30 on Client A and B in the last one (servers still
had it set to 10).

For the first crash, I fail server B (ifdown eth1), and then try to ls the
mount point with the client (time ls -l /mnt/glusterfs) from both clients.  I
generally get a "ls: /mnt/glusterfs/: Transport endpoint is not connected"
error once or twice, and then the active server's (A) glusterfsd will either
start responding or crash (about 50% chance).  In this case, I had restored
network connectivity to server B and ran a few more ls's from the clients.

The glusterfsd.log (including backtrace) is at
http://glusterfs.pastebin.com/m15d7f914

Upon restarting glusterfs on server A and restoring the network connection to
server B, I initiated the above ls from the clients and crashed server A's
glusterfsd again.  Glusterfsd on Server B was never restarted, it was failed
because of lack of connectivity.

The glusterfsd.log (including backtrace) for THIS crash is at
http://glusterfs.pastebin.com/m28ee8e5a

Here's a crash from doing an ls with one server failed, after restarting one
of  the servers a few times.

The glusterfsd.log (including backtrace):
http://glusterfs.pastebin.com/m2ee6c471

All logs shown are from the crashing server, Server A.  I can just as easily
crash server B by failing A.  Let me know if you need more logs from other
hosts and I'll re-run whichever scenarios you like,

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks