Re: [Gluster-devel] accessing glusterfs mounted share - really slow

From: Matthias Albert
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] accessing glusterfs mounted share - really slow
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:56:15 +0200

Hi,

actual status :-).

My glusterfs performance is now really great.

HW Setup:
2 servers, both with 3 IDE/SATA discs and same disc size
3 x AFR with replicate: 2 over these 2 servers

What I did:
- wrote a new ext3 filesystem to all of my storage with a bigger
inode-size (256byte)
- added the io-threads translator on server side
- added writebehind, readahead and io-cache translator on client side

If I perform a "time dd if=/dev/zeor of=/mnt_glusterfs bs=1M
count=10000" on "client A" and parallel a  "ls on the mounted gluster
share" on "client A" it is  still slow, but the reason for this is, that
the network traffic from "client A" to the servers has reached the
capacity limit (client is writing with 70Mbyte (2x35Mbyte to each
gluster server) to the gluster storage (gigabit network)).

If I do a "ls" on another glusterfs client (client B) the response is
like I do a "ls /"; "ls /home" :-). So, I my  "performance problems" are
gone.

Regards,

  Matthias