Re: [Gluster-devel] performance improvements

From: Hans Einar Gautun
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] performance improvements
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:40:57 +0200

tir, 23,.10.2007 kl. 18.36 +0200, skrev Vincent Régnard:
> Hi all,
>
> We are presently trying to tune our non-gluster configuration to improve
> glusterfs performance. My config is gluster 1.3.7/fuse2.7.0-glfs5, linux
> 2.6.16.55. We have 3 clients and 3 servers on a 100Mb network with 5ms
> round trip between clients and servers. The 3 clients replicate with afr
> on client side over the 3 servers.
>
> We have a read/write throughput benchmark (dbench) between 2 and 5 MB/s.
>
> The afr synchronisation using "find -mtime -1 -type f -exec head -c1
> trick" takes approximately 30 minutes for a 20GB filesystem with 300.000
> files. Which seems too long to be acceptable for us. I'd like to tune
> some parameters to increase performance.
>
> I can imagine that reducing the roundtrip between servers might help ?
> But I cannot actually do anything for that. The only thing I might be
> able to do is to configure some QOS. Have you any suggestion about how
> we should do that ? Would giving priority to tcp/6996 between clients
> and servers really help ?
>
> At the (linux) kernel level, could acting on PREMPTION MODEL and
> CONFIG_HZ produce improvement ?
>
> Our present config is as follow:
>
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y

This is about interrupting the kernel. You like it on a desktop, to feel
responce when you want to do something. Or on a "realtime" system - like
my home firewall with bandwithcontrol on an ADSL link(config=1000Hz).
Need quick responce there. The cost is context switching if you have
many processes trying to get attention.
On a fileserver you maybe are better of with the kernel timeslice only
(or no other and unneeded processes running). Better adjusting the Hz,
100 or 250 looks ok.

> # CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
> CONFIG_HZ_250=y
> # CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
> CONFIG_HZ=250
>
> Is it better to prefer SMP to non-SMP kernel builds ? (We presently have
> SMP eneabled for our dual-cores). What impact on glusterfs performances
> if we deactivate SMP ?
Having dualcore you need SMP to use both cores - and you want that. On
some CPU's (some Pentium 4) you are better off without hyperthreading -
you have to test it. Multicore kernel runs more processes at the same
time, and thats good also for glusterfs.