[Gluster-devel] Server-side AFR

From: gordan
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Server-side AFR
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:44:55 +0100 (BST)

I'm trying to do server-side AFR, and the sort of thing I'm coming up with is a bit like the following:

server.vol
->snip
volume foo1
        type storage/posix
        option directory /gluster
end-volume

volume foo2
        type protocol/client
        option transport-type tcp/client
        option remote-host 192.168.0.1
        option remote subvolume foo
end-volume

volume foo
        type cluster/afr
        subvolumes foo1 foo2
end-volume

volume server
        type protocol/server
        option transport-type tcp/server
        subvolumes foo
        option auth.ip.foo.allow 127.0.0.1,192.168.*
end-volume
<-snap

The only difference between the two servers is the IP address in the remote AFR block (192.168.0.2 instead of .1).

The question I have is - would this cause a circular replication meltdown? Or are loops somehow detected/prevented/avoided? Effectively, the client would connect to one server only, and upload the data, which would get replicated to the other server, which, since it also replicates back, replicates the file back, which triggers the local server to replicate, etc, etc, etc.

What prevents this sort of thing from occuring, and is there a better way to achieve this kind of a setup?

Gordan