Re: [Gluster-devel] gluster, gfs, ocfs2, and lustre (lustre.org)

From: Brandon Lamb
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] gluster, gfs, ocfs2, and lustre (lustre.org)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 10:20:37 -0700

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Brandon Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 May 2008, Brandon Lamb wrote:

> > are

> > The key to your problems is in Fedora. It _REALLY_ isn't fit for anything
> > more than a hobbyist home setup. It is the alphaware versin of RHEL. For
> > example, FC{7,8} ships only with GFS2 which is not yet stable, and nobody
> > claims it to be. RHEL5 comes with GFS1 and GFS2, GSF2 being there just as a
> > tech preview but not for use in production systems.
> >
> > RHCS has a somewhat steep learning curve, but it's not one that can't be
> > overcome in half a day with assistance from the mailing list. Once you
> > figure out what you're doing it's pretty straightforward, and I've deployed
> > quite a few clusters based on it for various clients.

> > ANY shared storage FS will suffer major performance penalties for this. File
> > write requires a directory lock. If you start getting contention (e.g.
> > shared imap folders), the performance will go through the floor because
> > you're dealing with distributed lock management overhead and network
> > latencies on top of normal disk latencies. Having said that, most POSIX
> > locking supporting cluster FS-es will suffer from this issue, some more than
> > others.

> > That's a bit like saying that if ext3 breaks, you can't access your data.
> > The only specilist thing about them is that they are designed for shared
> > storage, i.e. SAN or DRBD replicated volume.

> > Indeed, but it is fundamentally a distributed rather than centralized
> > storage approach. This isn't a bad thing, but it is an important
> > distinction. GlusterFS is a essentially for a cluster oriented NAS. GFS and
> > OCFS2 are SAN oriented. That is a major difference.

> > IME, RHCS/GFS didn't take me any more head scratching than GlusterFS did
> > when I first got into it. They are designed for different purposes, and
> > chosing one over the other should be based on project requirements, not on
> > simplicity.
> >

> > > I just wanted to add the stressing of simplicity.
> > >
> > > When the *#($ hits the fan, I would much rather be fixing something
> > > that is on the simple side from the start, rather wondering what the
> > > ### is going on with a specialized filesystem and all the extra pieces
> > > it adds and not having access to my data.
> > >

> > Calling GFS or OCFS2 specialized for this reason is bogus, as I explained
> > earlier. You might as well call ext3 specialized then, along with every
> > other FS.
> >

> > > That is what my company
> > > finally decided on. I was looking into buying iscsi hbas and seeing
> > > about upgrading our network, using DRBD and OCFS2 to sync our two RAID
> > > servers and after two weeks we just looked at each other and said, you
> > > know what. NFS may not be the most kickass thing or lightning fast, or
> > > have builtin replication, but it WORKS. And if a server failed well it
> > > would suck but we could copy from a backup onto the other nfs server
> > > and be running again.

> [...]

Oh yea and in reply to the specialized file system comments, yes that
was probably a bad way to put it. Maybe a better way is that to me, it
is an added bonus that if the "clustering file system software" fails,
I can still access my data if using glusterfs because it has a file
system underneath that is mounted on the server with full access to
it.

With the other solutions this is not the case (still correct?).

The point I was trying to make about this was, our team was
discussing, well what happens if ocfs2 crashes or starts fencing nodes
and we dont have a client that can mount our data because the cluster
either failed or wont start?

I gives me a warm fuzzy feeling with glusterfs to know that it has
this second level underneath it with full access. Hopefully this makes
more sense of what I was trying to say

=)