Re: [Gluster-devel] Improving real world performance by moving files clo

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Improving real world performance by moving files closer to their target workloads
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:02:50 +0530

> The look-up of file location is done by the hash. The namespace only serves
> to present a unified view of all the individual merged stores.

lookup of a file is done by parallely asking all the servers for the
filename. once a server responds, the location knowledge is cached till the
file becomes unreachable on that node.

I'm not sure that there is a namespace "cache" per se. I think the file open
> call is just routed according to the hash.

The current version of unify does not make use of hashes. A filename could
reside anywhere. Using hash based on filename has issues with renaming and
hardlinks

avati