[Gluster-devel] option read-subvolume

From: Josh Bowers
Subject: [Gluster-devel] option read-subvolume
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:19:54 -0400

I am trying to setup AFR across two nodes with the clients on the same boxes as the servers. Currently, I am using "AFR single process" to do this and everything seems to work.

However, I think I'm missing something because the performance seems to be poor.

I was under the impression that "option read-subvolume" option would read from the local filesystem if the "type storage/posix" was specified for the subvolume. It seems to have no affect whether or not this option is used.

# glusterfs -V
glusterfs 1.3.9 built on May 28 2008 11:01:17
Repository revision: glusterfs--mainline--2.5--patch-770

# uname -a
Linux webnode1 2.6.24-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:38:44 EDT 2008 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3210 @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

#### NODE 1 ####
volume client1
      type storage/posix
      option directory /data/gluster/acalog/
end-volume

volume client2
      type protocol/client
      option transport-type tcp/client
      option remote-host 10.42.0.31
      option remote-subvolume client2
      option transport-timeout 10
end-volume

volume webroot
      type cluster/afr
      option read-subvolume client1
      subvolumes client1 client2
end-volume

volume ioc
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 64MB
  option page-size 1MB
  option force-revalidate-timeout 30
  subvolumes webroot
end-volume

volume server
      type protocol/server
      option transport-type tcp/server
      option client-volume-filename /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
      subvolumes  webroot client1
      option auth.ip.webroot.allow *
      option auth.ip.client1.allow *
end-volume

#### NODE 2 ####

volume client1
      type protocol/client
      option transport-type tcp/client
      option remote-host 10.42.0.30
      option remote-subvolume client1
      option transport-timeout 10
end-volume

volume client2
      type storage/posix
      option directory /data/gluster/acalog/
end-volume

volume webroot
      type cluster/afr
      option read-subvolume client2
      subvolumes client1 client2
end-volume

volume ioc
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 64MB
  option page-size 1MB
  option force-revalidate-timeout 30
  option force-atime-update off
  subvolumes webroot
end-volume

volume server
      type protocol/server
      option transport-type tcp/server
      option client-volume-filename /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
      subvolumes  webroot client2
      option auth.ip.webroot.allow *
      option auth.ip.client2.allow *
end-volume

--
Josh Bowers
System Administrator - Digital Architecture