[Gluster-devel] Failover question.

From: Chris Johnson
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Failover question.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:24:03 -0400 (EDT)

      Hey all, been a while.

     I know it's possible to set up an automatic mirror so that one
file system is redundant and that failover will happen if you lose one
or whatever from the mirror.  That's great.  I have a situation in
which we have a common utillty area and if NFS blows a gut failover is
problematic at best.  Basically there isn't any.  So Gluster resolves
this issue nicely.

     But (there's always a but) the problem I have is that the servers
I have get really really busy at times to the point that wherever this
common area gets put loading any pograms from it can slow to a crawl. What I'd like to be able to do is tell Gluster that if the load on a
particulat member of the mirror set or the response time gets to a
certain value, temporarily drop it from the set and recover when it
returns to normal. The server never actually drops out it just slows to a crawl which is a different problem.

     Any way for Gluster to handle this?  Thanks much.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: address@hidden
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Survival, all by it self, isn't worth it.
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |                 Me