Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 3.0pre1 (Whats in 3.0)

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 3.0pre1 (Whats in 3.0)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:34:52 +0000

Anand Avati wrote:
Key highlights of 3.0 are
* Background self-healing: Applications won't be blocked any more during
healing operation.
* Checksum based healing: Rsync like healing mechanism to heal only the
inconsistent blocks within a file.
* Healing on the fly: Files can be healed even when the files are open and
application is performing active I/O.
* Generation numbers: Self-healing can now reliably handle tricky corner
cases (such as "rm -rf" bug).
 Great list! I assume direct-io will be supported for virtualization as
well? The above and disable-direct-io are the last things keeping us from
launching Gluster on our Xen cluster.

direct-io-mode for better write-performance is needed only on kernels
< 2.6.27, and direct-io-mode is inharently incompatible with many
other functionalities (like mmap, aio, running VMs). If you have a
newer kernel, glusterfs-3.0 does not honor
--disable/enable-direct-io-mode and always "works fast".

Is the detection based on kernel version or feature detection? The reason I ask is because there are heavily patched distro kernels like RHEL that are widely used, which nominally have a relatively low version number (2.6.18) but come with an awful lot of patches and features (1000+ by now IIRC) that add functionality from recent kernels?

Gordan