Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster 2.0.8 and Xen

From: Nathan Stratton
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster 2.0.8 and Xen
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:14:35 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Brian Hirt wrote:

Nathan,

This might be a side effect of open files not being replicated. If the VM has any open files that it has written to, none of the changes will be propagated to the other node until the file is closed. If a gluster node goes down, and that's the node with the modified open file, then you are out of luck. If the VM reopens the file while the correct node is down, it will get the out of date file on the replicated node. From there, the VM might go bonkers, or maybe it writes to that file also, then you end up with a split brain where you have two different copies on two different nodes.

Ah ha! So even tho I am using distribute since I am using xen with file the file is opened and only accesses one node? That would explain a LOT of things

Is there any way to see what node it is using for what xen file?

3.0 is supposed to address the open file replicate, though I haven't had a chance yet to test it to see if it fixes all the problems we were having with 2.08. You might want to check out 3.0pre1 and see if that makes any difference.

I just have been very scared about going with a pre1 release! At the same time, I must find a stable xen storage solution and 3.0pre1 may offer me more then I can get with current 2.0.8 anyway.

<>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com