Re: [Gluster-devel] Hide Feature

From: Ian Latter
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Hide Feature
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:44:32 +1000

Sorry for the re-send Jeff, I managed to screw
up the CC so the list didn't get it;

> >  Let me know if there are tweaks that should be made
> > or considered.
>
> A couple of comments:
>
> * It should be sufficient to fail lookup for paths that
> match your pattern.  If that fails, the caller will
> never get to any others.  You can use the quota
> translator as an example for something like this.

Ok, this is interesting.  So if someone calls another
fop .. say "open" ... against my brick/module, something
(Fuse?) will make another, dependent, call to lookup
first?  If that's true then I can cut this all down to size.

> * If you want to continue supporting this yourself,
> then you can just leave the code as it is, though in
> that case you'll want to consider building it "out of
> tree" as I describe in my "Translator 101" post[1]
> or do for some of my own translators[2].
> Otherwise you'll need to submit it as a patch
> through Gerrit according to our standard workflow[3].

Thanks for the Translator articles/posts, I hadn't seen
those.

Per my previous patches, I'll publish code on my site
under the GPL and you guys (Gluster/RedHat) can run
them through whatever processes you choose.  If it
gets included in the GlusterFS package, then that's fine.
If it gets ignored by the GlusterFS package, then that's
fine also.

> You'll also need to fix some of the idiosyncratic
> indentation.  I don't remember the current policy wrt
> copyright assignment, but that might be required too.

The weird indentation style used is not mine .. its
what I gathered from the Gluster code that I read
through.

http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-lesson-3-this-time-for-real/

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Development_Work_Flow

--