[Gluster-devel] Cannot run VMware Virtual Machines on GlusterFS

From: Fernando Frediani (Qube)
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Cannot run VMware Virtual Machines on GlusterFS
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:13:23 +0000

I have been trying to run VMware ESXi VMs on Gluster and was never able to, either with Gluster 3.2 or 3.3. It mounts the NFS, deploy the VM but can’t power it on. I suspect it would be something to do with the way Gluster exports NFS.

I have been people reporting that they used it with KVM VMs and normal Linux NFS, but I never saw anyone saying they have used it with VMware.

I have enabled TRACE logging and grabber the logs from the host I mounted the Datastore while trying to power on the VM.

Would someone care to look and confirm if it’s a NFS export problem or if the problem is somewhere else ?

Fernando Frediani