Re: [Gluster-devel] ext4 64bit offset related fix for dht

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] ext4 64bit offset related fix for dht
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:08:14 -0700

This looks mostly good, except we can introduce this extra conditional: If offsets presented by the backend filesystem are already fitting within the lower 64-log(servers) bits [which happens to be true with XFS for e.g], then we continue the current approach of transformation as it permits arbitrary seekdir(). The "FUSE" approach here will only permit seekdir(0), and seekdir(random) will be broken. This would show up on the day we encounter that first application we performs seekdir(random) on a directory FD.

As Ric was mentioning, we can check this with a systemtap script on a busy system to trap any seekdir call with a non-0 parameter and confirm. However if we do find an application which relies upon that behavior, we can implement a cookie cache and return virtual (short lived, for the life of the fd) d_offs and map them to server+physical_d_off in the cache.

I suggest we not invest time building this cache till we encounter that first application. In DHT since we will now be caching the subvolume count in the fd_ctx, we could also store the last presented cookie to the app and double check if the next requested offset is either 0 or matches the last presented value. If it did not, then return EOF, and declare we have encountered that first app :-)

Avati