Re: [Gluster-devel] Versioning

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Versioning
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:11:55 -0700

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM, John Mark Walker <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's file versioning, but I'll get one of the devs to fill out a feature template to provide more explanation.

-JM

----- Fred van Zwieten <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the planning34 page I see in the nice-to-have section "Versioning". Can someone explain to me what is meant by that? Is there a wiki page for the proposal?

We are seeking a type of versioning functionality like a multi version filesystem, where a translator writes the previous version of a file out to some location (other brick) when the file is about to change. This is because we have a very low change rate, but need to keep the old version available for a long time if a change does happen. Files do get moved around in directory structures, but almost never changed.

I added a note on roadmap page. Versioning idea started out of "Continuous Data Protection" requirement. Originally we thought we will implement versionng similar to geo-rep feature, where the remote volume holds change sets (like continuous rdiff-backup). Now I am leaning towards git based versioning. Integrate git into GlusterFS to track changes on specified events (timer, file-close, dir-tree-modify..). We may not do this via translator interface, but through the newly proposed simple event/timer interface.

-ab

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
#abperiasamy

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein