Re: [Gm2] (no subject)

From: Iztok Kobal
Subject: Re: [Gm2] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:49:35 +0100

Abi Lover wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks everyone for replying to my questions on co-routines in
> Modula-2. I was a bit disappointed though that C/C++ does not have the
> same simple, clean, and elegant solution to this interesting problem
> as does M2. I should have thought that somebody would have thought of
> adding it to C/C++ as an extension at least by now.
>
> As an aside, does anyone know what happened to the source code for the
> old TopSpeed Modula-2 compiler? The name of the company which
> originally produced it, if I remember correctly, was Jensen & Partner
> International. That was a very well-written and good quality piece of
> software. It was written in M2, and it had its own simple text editor,
> linker, and debugger, and a nice library of definition modules, and it
> produced fast and efficient executable code. But for some reason it
> never caught on, and C/C++ became the de-facto programming language,
> and that bit of software, as well as the company which produced it,
> died. It would be great if that source code could be resurrected
> somehow, released under GPL so that it could be developed by the open
> source community, and ported to Linux. That source code is probably
> not much use to whoever owns it by now, and it shouldn't be too
> difficult to raise a bit of money to buy it and release it under GPL.

There were other compilers, e.g. Logitech Modula 2 compilers, which were
even compliant to PIM2 which TopSpeed was not as well as it was not
compliant to ISO M2 standard. So no need to cry after TopSpeed even if
it was really the fastest then, until StonyBrook M2 - remember its linker ?

The question about porting the already stable M2 compiler into the GNU
compiler tree was discussed last year in comp.lang.m2 and the idea was
not even taken seriously as it is not the idea of generating backends
for M3 (lang.comp.m3) compiler for gcc and .NET.

Such is the world. And even if the C/C++ comunity are trying to persuade
the rest of the world that C/C++ (as bad language as it is) is in fact
the best, we have the other side equally blind and rejectant. And thus
the beautiful and excellent languages, as are M2 and M3, will die
without significant fight.

BTW, Abi, have you received my two messages from Jan 3rd - they were
addressed only to your hotmail account and there is also listing of the
GardensPoint M2 implementation of the Coroutines module ?

Regards !

I.