[Gm2] successful build & PIM modules (long)

From: Diego Rodríguez Rodríguez
Subject: [Gm2] successful build & PIM modules (long)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:03:43 +0200 (CEST)

I've build successfully the latest GNU Modula-2
snapshot with gcc 3.3.4 in Slackware 10.0
It seems to work fine, I built all the examples
without problems.
But when I try to build some of my own programs:
'cannot find InOut.o or InOut.a'
Well seems that the most commonly used PIM modules
aren't present, I mean the following modules:
InOut, RealInOut, MathLib0 and Terminal(??), but the
procedures in them seem to be present in another ones.
Most users (like me) will find this very annoying
since it's supposed that GNU M2 support the PIM
dialect. So far I've found the following deviations
from it in GNU M2 (I think):

** Modules InOut, RealInOut and MathLib0 (Terminal)
not present.
** SIZE isn't a pervasive identifier
** FLOAT isn't present
More details:
*InOut
- The module StrIO has ReadString, WriteString and
WriteLn
- The NumberIO has ReadCard, WriteCard, ReadInt,
WriteInt, WriteOct and WriteHex
- The module IO has Read and Write for CHAR
- Procedures OpenInput/CloseInput and
OpenOutput/CloseOutput aren't present in any module,
but in Scan there are OpenSource/CloseSource that
resemble the Open|CloseInput ones

* RealInOut
- The FpuIO has ReadReal and WriteReal

* MathLib0
- It lacks PROCEDURE real(I:INTEGER):REAL; it was
obsoleted in PIM4 by the pervasive one FLOAT, but I
think should be there for compatibility reasons.

* Terminal
The module StdIO seems to play the role of it, it has
the procedures: Read, Write, ReadAgain, WriteLn and
WriteString but not BusyRead. I think that most users
won't notice their absence.

* SYSTEM
- I have to import SIZE from this module, but it is a
pervasive identifier in both PIM (at least form 3rd
edition) and ISO

* Files/FileSystem
I/O in PIM is a mess so I suppose that nobody will
notice the absence of this modules, anyway I think
that all I/O operations should be done with the ISO
modules in the future.

Now a suggestion:
In the future GNU M2 should be ISO compliant and use
the ISO standard modules by default, InOut, RealInOut
and MathLib0 should be there for compatibility reasons
the other modules will be removed. XDS follows this policy.

Yahoo! lanza su nueva tecnología de búsquedas
¿te atreves a comparar?
http://www.viralbusquedas.yahoo.es