[Gm2] GM2 on I32LP64 Solaris: Bad news, Good news, Bad news

From: john o goyo
Subject: [Gm2] GM2 on I32LP64 Solaris: Bad news, Good news, Bad news
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:20:51 -0500

Greetings:

Preamble
========
I have two gcc versions on my Solaris box: (1) gcc, which is ILP32.
(2) gcc64, which is I32LP64.  I tried building with gcc64.  I have
bad news, good news, and bad news to report.

Bad news
========
Problem: Unable to build ppg (due to a 32-bit object being created at some
point.)

Causes:
        1. gcc/gm2/p2c/p2c-src/src/Makefile contains
                CC = gcc -Wall

        I changed this to
                CC = gcc64 -Wall

        2. gcc/Makefile contains (l. 2053)
                gcc -g -o $@ $<

        I changed this to
                gcc64 -g -o $@ $<

        3. mklink writes a linkcommand containing the wrong compiler for ppg.
        Line mklink.c:762 is the following.
                printf("gcc -g");

        Temporaray HACK by changing this to
                printf("gcc64 -g");

Good news
=========
With the changes above, make succeeded and so did make make gm2.paranoid.
(Make test-gm2 reported 27 failures and 2145 passes, full log to be mailed
to Gaius separately to keep clutter out of the mailing list.)

Bad news
========
After I installed the new gm264, I tried compiling and linking a small test
file and received an error that a 32-bit temporary object file had been built.
(Sigh -- I am still investigating.)

Comment
=======
I note that your guidance on building cross-compilers is to place them in
separate directories.  I have always distinguished them via the configuration
option "--program-suffix".

Sincerely,
john