Re: [Gm2] Building under Solaris 9 on Sparc -- update (mostly good)

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Building under Solaris 9 on Sparc -- update (mostly good)
Date: 01 Jun 2005 19:44:58 +0100

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings:

Hi John,

> The following pertains to the release dated 2005-05-27.  I am now
> building the ilp32 and the i32lp64 versions in separate directories
> (under separate accounts).

> 1. ilp32 under Solaris 9 on Sparc:
>
> 1.1. gm2 builds (modulo fixups listed below in Para. 3)
> 1.2. gm2.paranoid fails to build.
> 1.3. check-gm2 reports 9 failures.
> 1.4. gm2 installs.

> 2. i32lp64 under Solaris 9 on Sparc:
>
> 2.1. gm2 builds (modulo fixups listed below in Para. 3)
> 2.2. gm2.paranoid passes.
> 2.3. check-gm2 reports 12 failures.
> 2.4  gm2 installs.

many thanks for these report!

> 3. Fixups.
>
> 3.1. The gm2 makefile uses the "-e" options.  Under Solaris, this is
> only available with the XPG 3 version of grep, not the usual grep.  Athough
> easilly corrected with the appropriate PATH, I wonder why this was not
> picked up by configure.

ok, I've modified the gm2/Make-lang.in to utilise

  grep \\-DCROSS_COMPILE

rather than

  grep -e -DCROSS_COMPILE

any chance you can test this on Solaris?

> 3.2. The gcc makefile defines "srcdir" as an absolute path from the root
> but the makefile is peppered with relative (and nonsensical) paths such as
> ../$(srcdir).  The paths were corrected but I wonder why they defined this
> way at all.

ok, sometimes the path ../$(srcdir) is used, say if the sh script
changes into a lower directory. cd gm2 ; etc etc etc ; -I../$(srcdir)
etc. Does this break the compile if you use an absolute srcdir on
Solaris?

Thanks Gaius