[Gm2] latest cvs checkin

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] latest cvs checkin
Date: 21 Sep 2006 10:43:58 +0100

Hi,

I've checked in many changes to gm2 which are designed to make gm2
operate with gcc-4.1.x.  At present it fails on 111 regression tests.
So it is really only of use to people wishing to experiment and report
more failures :-).  Also worth mentioning is gm2-harness-0.93 which
firstly builds and installs the appropriate C compiler and then
secondly proceeds to build gm2.  Hence build time has increased, but
you shouldn't have to worry about having to build gm2 with a certain
binary of gcc.

If anyone has experience with package building (particularly debian)
I'd be interested in knowing what changes would be needed to make
gm2-harness generate packages.  Or even if the gm2-harness approach
is mutually exclusive to package building.

gm2-harness-0.93 will, by default, use gcc-3.3.6 and cvs checkout a
copy of GNU Modula-2 which was tagged in August.  This version (on all
my tests) passed all regression tests - and I view it as stable.  The
port to gcc-4.1.0 will eventually replace it and also should produce
better code and allow GNU Modula-2 to exploit the -O flag as well as
providing better support for architectures such as the avr
microprocessors.

The web site has been updated to reflect gm2-harness-0.93 and also
mentions a paper delivered at GCC 2006 in Ottawa in July (under the
documentation section).

best wishes,